FWCS Employee Code of Ethics
We, the employees of Fort Wayne Community Schools, believe in the worth and dignity of each human being, recognize the importance of excellence, and accept our role as educational leaders in the community. We acknowledge that, as employees in the field of public education, we shall hold to the highest of ethical and professional standards.
Respect and confidence among students, parents, members of the community and colleagues provide incentive to maintain the highest degree of ethical conduct. As valued employees, we understand the magnitude and importance of always conducting ourselves in an ethical and professional manner with a commitment to continual self-improvement for the purpose of increasing student achievement.
To that end, we will:
- Make the well-being of students the fundamental value in all decision-making and actions.
- Make reasonable efforts to protect students from conditions harmful to learning or to health and safety.
- Fulfill all responsibilities with honesty, truthfulness and integrity.
- Conduct ourselves in ways that foster and encourage openness, accountability and personal responsibility.
- Recognize and respect diversity of our students, staff and community.
- Safeguard the rights of all others from abuse, violence and discrimination, regardless of personal characteristics.
- Follow the policies and rules of the school corporation and obey local, state and national laws.
- Demonstrate commitment to our role as educational leaders and role models through our language, dress and behavior.
- Protect each person's right to a quality public education.
- Cultivate and support an environment that fosters teamwork, communication and collaboration among students, staff, parents and the community.
- Refrain from using position for personal economic advantage that would create, or appear to create, a conflict of interest.
- Create an atmosphere that encourages communication without fear of retaliation.
Adopted by the Board of School Trustees, May 12, 1997