Getting Ready for Pre-K & Kindergarten
FWCS offers pre-kindergarten in 24 schools and full-day kindergarten in all elementary schools. For pre-K, enrollment is limited depending on the program offered at each school. Full-day kindergarten is available for all children who live in the District and turn 5 years old by Aug. 1 (Indiana Code 20-33-2-7). Students may attend their neighborhood school or apply for enrollment into another school within the District. Information about all schools, including which schools offer pre-K, can be found in the CATALOG or by calling Student Services at 260.467.2120.
Parents can apply for early entrance into kindergarten by submitting an application. Application forms are available at the Student Services Department, 1200 S. Clinton St. Please call Student Services at 260.467.2120 to inquire about application deadlines.
FWCS conducts early registration and orientation for new pre-K and kindergarten students in April. Registering early allows parents to collect materials to help ease their child's transition to school. It also gives students and their parents the opportunity to become familiar with the school before the school year begins.
- Pre-K Registration Form Kindergarten Registration Forms
- Kindergarten Orientation & Early Registration (Burmese) (Spanish)
- Pre-K Orientation & Early Registration (Burmese) (Spanish)
- Kindergarten Orientation Video
- Kindergarten Orientation Video, script only
- Video de Orientación para Kindergarten, Guión Únicamente
- Kindergarten Orientation Video, script only, Burmese
- What will I be when I grow up (Summer Calendar - Family Home Activities)
- Que voy a ser cuando crezca (Actividades para la Familia en el Hogar)
- Nutrition Services: If the household has a current food stamp case number, the enrolled student may be automatically eligible for benefits. A meal/textbook benefit application must be submitted to Nutrition Services or the school office prior to the beginning of the school year to ensure processing and determination of eligibility before the first day of school. Call Nutrition Services at 260.467.2055 for additional information or assistance.
- Transportation: A Transportation Information Form must be submitted to the school as soon as possible to ensure first-day bus pick-up and efficient routing for the school year. A new Transportation Information Form must be submitted if a family moves. For transportation and school boundary information, please call the Coordinator of Routing at 260.467.1900.
- Conferences: All pre-K and kindergarten students and parents will receive information from the school with a time and date for a conference before school starts. Students may bring their supplies and meet their teacher at this time.