Continuing Education & Neighborhood Connection
Together with Fort Wayne Community Schools, the Department of Continuing Education and Neighborhood Connection exist to provide an educational outreach to the residents of Fort Wayne and surrounding areas. Our goal is provide current, affordable, high-quality educational and recreational opportunities and enable our residents to take advantage of our facilities.
1200 South Barr Street, Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Phone: 260.467.1060 - Fax: 260.467.1029
Phone: 260.467.1075 - Fax: 260.467.1029
Need your HSE (formerly known as GED) or high school diploma? English Literacy classes? Refresher classes in math and English? Continuing Education can help you!
You may also contact Continuing Education directly at 467-1060.
- Don't let not having a high school diploma hold you back! Complete requirements for your high school diploma or pursue your HSE (High School Equivalency diploma). We believe you can do it and we can help!
- Do you need to improve your conversational English and reading ability? Classes are designed for people who want to improve their reading, writing, speaking, and listening abilities in the English language. Our friendly teachers and staff can help you!
How & When to register for a Continuing Education class:
- Daytime Academic Registration:
Open enrollment: Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Evening Academic Registration:
Continuing Education at 467-1060 for registration dates and information.
- English Literacy Classes
Call Continuing Education at 467-1060 for registration dates.
Pay by Cash, Check, MasterCard or VISA! Registration for Continuing Education classes are made at the Continuing Education office at the Bill C. Anthis Center, 1200 S. Barr Street. Payment of class fees and any book, supply or material fees is due at time of registration.
Continuing Education offers High Quality Classes at a Low Price! Our fees are as low as operating expenses will permit. The lower fee for non-high school graduates is possible because of State reimbursement for courses meeting Adult Education requirements for high school diploma completion.
Returned Checks A $12 fee will be charged for returned checks. Unless payment is received promptly, all dishonored checks will be referred to the Allen County Prosecuting Attorney's Bad Check Restitution Program where additional fees and penalties will be assessed.
Have questions about where to go for postsecondary educational programs? Try these links for starters!
Indiana Department of Workforce Development
CNA Program Information
The program is in two parts:
30 hours of classroom instruction at Bill C. Anthis Center, followed by 75 hours of clinical instruction at a long-term care facility. The certification test will be scheduled within one month of completion of clinical training. Class fee: $975 includes CPR certification and final certification test fee. Some program requirements entail additional cost to the student including; Indiana State criminal history check, tuberculosis test/readings, and general physical examination. Details provided at registration. Approximate additional required out of pocket cost to student: $100-$150.
General requirements to qualify for the program:
You must meet the minimal requirements set forth in the ISDH Administrative Standards. You must be able to: add and subtract simple equations; must be able to read and write, speak and understand English. You will need to pass with at least 80% correct on competency evaluation test that is given at the Neighborhood Connection office prior to qualifying for registration. Neighborhood Connection does not provide transportation; therefore you must have reliable transportation to and from Bill C. Anthis Center and/or the Nursing Facility. If any of the stipulations are a concern, please consider resolving them and registering for the program at a later date. It is encouraged, but not required, that you be a high school graduate, or have your GED or HSE.
Upon passing, you will be able to register for the program. Please note payment of the entire $975.00 fee is due upon registration. Registration in person is required. Neighborhood Connection is unable to provide financial assistance.
Click on Courses Offered for a complete listing of Neighborhood Connection courses and online registration. Expand your potential and possibilities, discover your passion, develop a hobby or just enjoy learning for your lifetime!
Online Classes are also available - Take classes from home, when the kids are in bed, or during your lunch break! Enhance your skills or take up a new hobby with learning that is enjoyable, clear, uncomplicated, fast & convenient. All you need to get started is access to a computer and the internet. Click Online Classes to see a variety of online course options.
Our Winter/Spring 2018 brochure is here! Check your mailbox for your copy. If you did not receive a brochure you may pick one up at FWCS Career Academy at Anthis, any Allen County Public Library Branch or phone our office at 260-467-1075 to request one to be mailed to you.
FWCS Neighborhood Connection also offers the Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) Training Program courses along with CPR & First Aid Certification.
Let us help you reach your potential and expand your possibilities!
To teach classes, FWCS Neighborhood Connection taps the creativity, knowledge and skills of community members. Class instructors are business professionals, certified teachers, independent educators and community members with expertise in a particular subject.
For more information or to register for a class call our office at 260-467-1075.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get a brochure? Our brochures are mailed out twice a year once in December and again in July. If you do not receive a brochure in your mailbox, you may pick one up at Bill C. Anthis Center, 1200 S. Barr Street or any public library branch. Please feel free to contact our office at 467-1075 to request a copy be mailed to you.
- We highly recommend not waiting until the last minute to register for any class due to classes filling quickly, or our canceling a class due to not enough interest. For most classes if there are openings you may register with payment up to the day a class starts.
- What are your hours?
We're open Monday through Friday, 9am - 4pm. Summer hours may vary. Please contact our office for Summer hours at 260-467-1075
- How do I find a school?
Click here for a complete listing of schools, addresses, and direct map links for each location!
- Do I have to be a resident of Fort Wayne to take a class?
No. Anyone from anywhere may take a Neighborhood Connection, no extra charge.
- Can my child attend an adult class?
Unless otherwise indicated or under the category "Children," children may not attend an adult class. Sometimes exceptions can be made when the child is accompanied by a registered adult but must be cleared through our office first.
- I'm over 60, is there a discount?
Yes! Take $5 off any class fee.
- If I register online how will I receive confirmation? You will be e-mailed a confirmation receipt which will include all class information including the classroom assignment and supply list if required. Please print this receipt and save it for your records, you will not receive a receipt via US Mail.
- How do I get information and/or register for an online course? On the Neighborhood Connection web page click on Online Classes. From there you can browse all the online classes our program offers. Don't be afraid to search for course information, you will not be registered for a course until you enter your payment method. You must use online registration for all online classes.
- What if I can't make it to class? Can I get a refund?
See Policies under Neighborhood Connection on the left side of this page.
- What if the weather is bad?
See Policies under Neighborhood Connection on the left side of this page.
- What about parking?
Adequate parking is provided in large, lighted lots conveniently located adjacent to the schools.
- FWCS Neighborhood Connection Instructor Bios
- Can I teach a class?
We are always looking for fresh ideas and new instructors! If you are interested in offering a course, please call us and request an instructor application be mailed to you! Or, click on Instruct a Class to print out and complete an Instructor Application.