Fort Wayne Community Schools - Diabetes
School Nurses provide the following services to students who need diabetes management at school:
- Acts as a resource for school staff regarding diabetes management.
- Train school personnel to give diabetes care when the nurse is not present.
- Teach students about diabetes and helps them find successful ways to manage it.
- Encourage student and family involvement in community diabetes activities.
- Are the liaison between physicians, families, school personnel and students to balance educational goals with health needs.
- Promote student and staff awareness about Type 2 diabetes and its prevention by increasing exercise and improving eating habits.
Care Plans and Instructions
It is imperative that all diabetes plans, supplies (insulin, syringes, testing supplies, snacks etc.) be in place at school prior to the first day of attendance. Please ask about a conference with school staff. Contact your school nurse.
"Hotshots" is the newsletter published during the school year by our diabetes nurse educator. It contains community and special event news along with tips for dealing with diabetes issues. Your copy of "Hotshots" will be sent home from schools with your student.