FWCS - How to enroll your student
Enroll Now for 2017-18
All Children Welcome
Fort Wayne Community Schools welcomes all children. Students in FWCS are assigned to a school based on their residence. Families may also choose a school outside their attendance area by filling out a school assignment (transfer) application. Transportation is not provided for students who transfer to another school except for magnet schools and Programs of Study.
Parents of students new to FWCS should go to the FWCS Family and Community Engagement Center at 230 E. Douglas Ave. to register and receive other personalized services.
- Determine which school your child is assigned to based on your home address in our online Address Lookup.
- Indiana State Law (Indiana Code 20-33-2-7) requires that a child must be five years of age by August 1st to be eligible for enrollment in kindergarten. Parents can apply for early entrance into kindergarten by submitting an application. Application forms are available at the Family and Community Engagement Center (FACE Center), 230 E. Douglas Ave., Ft. Wayne, IN 46802. Application may be made through Student Services. Please call 260-467-2120 for further information.
- You may decide to enroll your child in a magnet school, a high school Program of Study or a school outside the assigned attendance area by participating in the FWCS school assignment lottery. To do so, you must complete a school assignment (transfer) application during the annual lottery enrollment period. Students are accepted based on space availability. If a school has more applications than space available, names will be selected in a public lottery. Students not selected in the lottery are placed on a waiting list. Transportation is not provided for students who transfer to another school except for magnet schools and Programs of Study.
- Complete details and school assignment (transfer) applications can be found in the School Catalog or by calling Student & Family Support Services at 260-467-2120.
Completed Student Enrollment Forms
Proof of ageTo enroll a child in school, a parent or guardian must provide a birth certificate and the name and address of the last school the child attended, if any.
- Fort Wayne Community Schools requires the parent/guardian of a child newly enrolled in our school corporation to furnish a written statement of the child's immunization record no later than the first day of school. This statement should be accompanied by the physician's certificates or other documentations.
- The parent/s or guardian may file a written statement of medical or religious objection annually. Medical objections must be signed by your physician. Forms are available at each school. However, if an objection is made, the Personal Health History and Student Physical Evaluation should still be completed and returned to the school.
Proof of residenceAny combination of two of the following: (Homeless families should contact Student Services for assistance)
- Letter or Check from any governmental agency
- Letter from an attorney or court papers
- Letter or card from Allen County Office of Family and Children Services
- Social Security Benefits
- Medical doctor, dentist or eye doctor statements
- Established Bank Account statement (Not a newly established account or bank papers indicating you have changed your address with them)
- Utility Connect Notice
- Utility Bill dated within the past 30 days
- Lease printed on letterhead from an established apartment / mobile home leasing office with a contact name and phone number. Hand written leases or those printed from the internet are not acceptable.
- If you are new to the area and residing with a friend or family member, they must be present with you at the time of enrollment, sign an Affidavit of Residence, and provide two proofs of residence in their name. You then have 30 days to produce two proofs of residence in your name.
- A student found to be living outside of Fort Wayne Community School boundaries due to falsification of records will be expelled for legal settlement.
- A student found to be living outside the enrolled school's boundaries due to falsification of records will be immediately returned to their home school.
FWCS conducts registration for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students , in March. Registering early allows parents to collect materials to help prepare their student for kindergarten, and gives students the opportunity to become familiar with their school ahead of time. Click here for full information.
If you missed early Kindergarten registration, come to the regular registration in August as noted above.
- meal/textbook before the first day of school. Call Nutrition Services at 260-467-2055.
Conferences:All Kindergarten students and parents will receive information from the school with a time and date for a conference before school starts. Students may bring their supplies and meet their teacher at this time.